Larissa, Cherokee County, Texas
Larissa, now referred to as Old Larissa, is located in the NW corner of Cherokee County Texas where County Road 3409 intersects County Road 3405. The area was settled in 1846 by a group of Tennesseans, headed by Thomas H. McKee. T. N. McKee, son of Thomas H. McKee, established a school there in 1848 which was later taken over by the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. This school, known as Larissa College, was an asset to the community and the State of Texas.
The community thrived until the end of the Civil War. Its demise resulted from the Cumberland Presbyterian Church withdrawing funding for the college, and the coming of the railroad to the Mt. Selman, Jacksonville areas.
Today little remains to remind us of the once thriving community.
Reminders include the last standing building, Larissa Lodge No. 57, the Historic
Marker for Larissa Colleges and three Cemeteries in the region. The largest of the three, known as Larissa Cemetery, located on FM 855, The Old Baptist
Cemetery 1/4 mile SW of the corner of CR 3409 and CR 3405, and The Old Larissa
Cemetery located about 1/2 mile west of Old Larissa on the road to the Killough
Northwest Cherokee County, Texas.